Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Twelve Days of Counting

In just twelve days I will venture into the African desert for 27 months for the adventure of my life. I am hoping through this blog I'll be able to keep in touch with all of my friends and family.

So, why the heck am I doing this; leaving my job, apartment, dog, family and friends to live in 120 degree heat without electricity? Have I secretly been an adventurer these past few years? Am I really not the OCD, type A person I come off as? Not at all!

A long time ago I decided that the Peace Corps was a dream of mine, but a year ago I decided to make it a reality. I've always enjoyed helping people and the idea of spending 27 months doing just that really called to me. Also, the idea of learning a foreign language and living abroad experiencing another culture didn't sound too bad either. The application process has been long and trying and I''m so lucky that I had so many friends and family supporting me through the past year. But then just a few weeks ago, the application process came to an abrupt end when I received a phone call notifying me I would leaving for Africa on July 5th. After receiving my full assignment I have learned I'll be living in Niger, Africa serving as a Community Development Agent. I'll also not only be learning one foreign language but two!

I'm hoping through this blog I'll be able to keep everyone updated with my adventures and keep connections to home. Thank you to everyone who has helped me in the past year, I wouldn't be doing this without your support! I promise to post more information later including my mailing address.

For now..au revoir

3 comments:

  1. SO amazing. Congratulations! I'll definitely follow the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case you get to check your blog, I wanted to let you know how much you're loved and missed. Hope you're having a great time.

    Love, Mom, John, Bosley, and Sammie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie! Love reading your adventures in Niger! The place sounds very interesting! I try and log on once a week to see if you have posted anything new. It's truly amazing to read how you are living there and then thinking about those here who don't appreciate what they do have. Can't wait to see some pictures (eventually) :-)...Be safe! Be happy!

    Mary Jordan

    ReplyDelete